Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The Mounted Life

I find The Mounted Life photography series by Danielle Van Ark a bit odd and amusing. It's not often I get a chance to peer into the life of a taxidermist (ok...never really), which is where I'm assuming these photos are from. My natural curiosity grows and the images become more interesting...like I shouldn't look, but it's so weird I have to look one more time! They are also posed and photographed so well, like they are saying, "hey you...yeah you...what's up?!"

**UPDATE** Danielle Van Ark was kind enough to tell the background story of these photos -

"Hi Everybody, A friend of mine emailed this blog to me, as the maker I will clear something up for you. These pictures are taken in the storage rooms of Natural History Museums in the US and Europe, I've been to 16 so far. I always feel like they live their own life and while I am there they freeze, just like in the movie 'Night at the Museum' but there you go. That's the story."

Thanks for clearing that up - wow - makes the photographs even more amazing!

{also found via ffffound!}

21 comments:

The City Sage said...

I'm sort of imagining these animals working in this warehouse---sort of like a taxidermy version of 'The Office'! That rhino is so the awkward, obnoxious boss!

please sir said...

I LOVE your interpretation - what a neat way to think about it like that!!

Savvy Mode SG said...

hmmm... never thought of it this way. okay! btw, i tagged you.

Joanna Goddard said...

ha, i love this!

heather smith jones said...

i like how the animals almost assume personality peeking out from behind cabinets. are they playing a game?

Stephanie said...

I agree - the peeking around the corners is weirdly charming.

Franco said...

O, really hope this animals weren't killed just for taxodermy :(

Hila said...

hmm, this is very odd; but you're right, also amusing - in a disturbing sort of way :)

aimee said...

there's something very amusing about this!

Claire, said...

very curious indeed!

Lauren K said...

Interesting, and somehow beautiful. Great find!

Erin said...

this is my favorite post today. it made me smile, and even giggle a little.
I had a hide that my father in law gave to me tanned about two years ago, and the taxidermist's shop was in the basement of his house. He was a nice guy, and a counter divided the sales area from his work area, so I could see everything he was working on.

Mrs.French said...

a bit disturbing, yet awesome...I get what you're saying.

Chris said...

Very strange but interesting!

Victoria said...

Freaky and fascinating!

bronwyn said...

So weird - I love it!

Raina said...

The last one is "Peekaboo, I see you!"

LENORENEVERMORE said...

morbidly beautiful!
Damien Hirst is quite envious ;)

erin@designcrisis said...

Gorgeous photos. I love how the animals are peeping from corners.

daniellevanark said...

Hi Everybody,
A friend of mine emailed this blog to me, as the maker I will clear something up for you. These pictures are taken in the storage rooms of Natural History Museums in the US and Europe, I've been to 16 so far. I always feel like they live their own life and while I am there they freeze, just like in the movie 'Night at the Museum' but there you go. That's the story.

jae said...

They do seem to be "alive" and I love the fact that they are in Natural History Museums and not a taxidermist. The actual story makes them really seem like they are waiting for you to leave so they can spring back to life.

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Even if I don't get a chance to respond please know that I read and appreciate your thoughts. Every comment counts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails