Thursday, April 17, 2008

Twitter wtf?


Some of you may be thinking "wtf is twitter?" and others may already be a twitter fan. Twitter is a service for friends to communicate and stay connected through the exchange of quick, frequent answers to one simple question: What are you doing? Think of it as a mini-blogging tool.

I'm not on MySpace or Facebook, so I was really confused when I first joined Twitter. I thought it was weird and scary. But, Penelope Trunk on Brazen Careerist had a great post today on How to Start Something that Scares You and for her that was Twitter.

Penelope mentions that several of her friends thought Twitter was stupid. One commenter replies, "I guess I don’t yet understand the phenomenon of posting every monotonous happening in every moment of one’s existence. I see posts on Twitter such as “had to much caffeine today” and “replacing my morning walk with a Margarita”. True...there is lame stuff, but I think Twitter has potential - especially for bloggers.

I've been on Twitter for a couple of weeks and I'm still learning. I linked Please Sir to my Twitter, so my blog posts are automatically updated on there. You can do this with Twitter Feed. Besides the occasional "what I'm doing" I will also be adding helpful links, ideas and inspirations to Twitter. I want it to become a supplement to Please Sir with things that are neat, but don't merit a complete blog post.

If you are still curious about Twitter...just try it, and feel free to post questions. Are you already on Twitter? Let me know your twitter feed!

Check out the Please Sir Twitter here or you can look to the right of the blog for tweet updates.

16 comments:

/// said...

Ha, I'm a total Tweet. :)

sarah b. said...

i just started yesterday! :)

/sarahblackstock

please sir said...

Thanks for the follow Sarah - hope you enjoy! Do you guys like it so far?

Krissy | Paper Schmaper said...

I haven't jumped on the bandwagon yet... do you get updates via phone?

please sir said...

Krissy - no, I haven't taken it that far (yet). Plus I have a pretty crappy cell phone right now!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for enlightening me. I had no idea what it was but I've been seeing it pop up more often on blogs now.

The House That A-M Built said...

I was wondering what it was all about! Thankyou, A-M

Julie @ Belle Maison said...

I was actually just wondering about Twitter yesterday and had no idea what the hell it's about! Thanks for the info - I'll explore it when I have a little time!

robin ann mcintosh said...

ok, i'm convinced. i'm going to give the tweet a go.

oh, i meant twit. twitter?

i'll be sure to check your's out!

please sir said...

Great - can't wait to follow you on Twitter!

Anonymous said...

I don't know much about Twitter but do you feel a bit exposed? Like you're giving too much of yourself?

please sir said...

paisley - good point, which is why I hope to do something a little different with Twitter. When I first started I put up silly stuff, but now I want to leave useful information or questions, and hope to build a good community forum. We'll see...it might be "new toy" syndrome where you get excited at first and then the excitement wears off!

Jill said...

thanks for your comment! i'm loving your blog (seriously, great finds). my interiors etc. blog is still in progress, but it will be up and running with a better 'look', links, resources etc. in a few weeks.

Anonymous said...

hmm...i'm not on twitter .. i just started google reader [and LOVE it] so i'm a little behind the times. will give this a try this weekend!

please sir said...

Google Reader is the BEST blog reading tool - easy, fast - I can't say enough goodness about it!

Denise Kiggan said...

That's interesting. I did not know what Twitter was all about. Now I do!

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Even if I don't get a chance to respond please know that I read and appreciate your thoughts. Every comment counts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails